Aging convey and sort hubs, increased use of parcel shipping by traditional customers combined with the growth of internet retailing and new parcel shipping services are driving parcel processing and shipping suppliers to upgrade and expand hub infrastructure.
Dematic provides parcel processing and sorting solutions for parcel logistics providers, ranging from regional logistics service providers to large global parcel shipping corporations, thereby supporting low, medium, and high volume parcel processing requirements. These solutions are engineered to accommodate the specific application needs of parcel processors and carriers, such as configurations that support seasonal peaks, accurate high rate sorting, non proprietary controls, and modular architecture to accommodate rapid maintenance and repair. Typical solutions are designed to optimize the processes involved including inbound, in-line weighing, scanning, consolidation, sorting, and truck loading, along with the ability to handle a variety of load types: cartons, cases, trays, totes, bags, and envelopes.
Dematic brings a non-biased, data driven, industrial engineering approach to the development of each parcel system. Dematic has the process improvement engineering experience and expertise to design high performance solutions, with hundreds of successful implementations operating in low to high volume parcel processing operations around world. At the core of each solution is the system design and layout configuration including robust convey and sort technology engineered for the rigorous demands of parcel sorting applications.
Systems may be comprised of a single solution such as induct and sort, or they may include all the operational functions in the cross-docking arrangement from inbound to outbound. Dematic engineers each system as a modular, flexible, scalable solution to accommodate changing activity, average to peak capacity and future growth. Dematic guarantees successful system performance while creating a strong ROI:
- Reduce processing time, space requirements, and labor to operate
- Optimize material and information flow, processes, activities
- Increase throughput, accuracy and ergonomics
Parcel Supply Chain Trends
- Internet buying growth continues
- Faster response to consumers – same day delivery – including Sunday
- Free shipping as incentive
- Smaller order sizes – smaller packaging
- Large item shipping B2C (big screen TVs)
- Home delivery includes perishables – grocery, home health care products
- Growth in B2C shipments for eCommerce
- Labor availability
- Variety of package sizes wider
- Consumer demand for next/same day delivery
- Security – home delivery, pharmaceuticals