The need for "store-friendly and aisle-ready" deliveries from the distribution centre, along with growing demand for home delivery and store pick up, is creating the business case for more productivity and efficiency through automation.
Dematic provides order fulfilment solutions for grocery retailers, ranging from small regional food chains to large national grocers, and can support low, medium, or high volume distribution requirements. These solutions are engineered to accommodate the specific distribution requirements of items sold in a grocery store, such as dry goods, fresh product, frozen, beverage, pharmacy and other merchandise. These system configurations can support retail store replenishment and e-commerce order fulfilment for pick up or home delivery. These intra-logistics systems often accommodate strategies for order assembly by store planogram, temperature controlled storage, peaks/valleys in order volume, controlled access to inventory, product tracking, order/inventory accuracy, and first-expired, first-out processing. Typical solutions are designed to optimise the processes involved with receiving, storage, put-away, replenishment, case and piece picking, consolidation, order packing, and truck loading, along with the ability to handle a variety of load types: cartons, trays, totes, bins, and poly bags.
Dematic brings a non-biased, activity based, industrial engineering approach to the development of each store replenishment system. Dematic has the process improvement engineering experience and expertise to design high performance solutions, with hundreds of successful order fulfilment implementations operating across the world that support grocery distribution. At the core of each solution is the innovative system design, along with the strategic management software that provides real time control, visibility and operational insight.
Systems may be comprised of a single solution such as the pick and pack operation, or they may include all the operational functions from receiving to shipping. Dematic engineers each system as a modular, flexible, scalable solution to accommodate changing activity profiles, average to peak capacity and future growth. Dematic guarantees successful system performance while creating a strong ROI:
- Reduce warehouse space requirements, fulfilment time, and labour
- Optimise material and information flow, processes, activities
- Increase throughput, accuracy, visibility and ergonomics
Grocery Supply Chain Trends
- More people eating at home to save money
- Convenience – multiple generations ordering by smart device for home delivery
- Omnichannel everywhere – to avoid loss of sales to internet only channels, stores must find other ways to stay relevant to customers – i.e. order in store and ship to home, order online and pick up at stores
- Dollar and Drug Stores offering groceries
- SKU proliferation, ethnicity, healthy-sizing
- Big grocers getting bigger
- Multiple formats – large retail stores, small retail stores, eCommerce, home delivery
- Smaller, more frequent orders requiring daily delivery
- Competition/profitability – industry leaders getting bigger and separating from the pack. Need to reduce cost-per-case
- High labour turnover – training costs, harsh environments, insurance, legislation
- Ergonomics and safety in warehousing
- Network consolidation
- Loyalty – shoppers want convenience – shipped immediately